Many Key or Golden Financial and Business Metrics rely on CRM data. The accuracy, speed, and timeliness of CRM data is therefore critical. Running and Administering the most powerful and widely used CRM in the world, Salesforce.com (SFDC) could be very challenging. SFDC is highly customizable, and without proper planning, architecting, and system design - often times, a company finds itself having to hire a large team of salesforce developers, administrators, and analysts in order to support their implementation. Even with a large team, many companies still struggle to produce accurate reports in a timely manner. In addition, there is a big dependency on salesforce.com’s support team to better understand the ins & outs of data-flows and processes. Many companies put in a lot of effort to document every single flow, customization, report, etc - but as we all know that the documentation is usually not updated on a frequent basis. Systems and processes change fast, especially in hyper-growth organizations.
Here are some of the business pain-points as a result of running a complex salesforce.com system
● Thousands of custom reports - which one to use?
● What is the impact of a change to an object, process builder or program?
● SFDC reports generated out of SFDC do not tie back to BI reports from DW
● Too many custom objects - what do they do, where are they used?
● Too many custom fields and custom calculations - where are they used, how are they calculated or transformed, is there any trigger associated to them?
● No documentation, and original SFDC developers have left the company
● Need to be self-service without having to always rely on IT or Engineers
● End users can’t troubleshoot issues without Admin right access
● Need to understand and document end-2-end data flows (down to field level)
● Need to be 100% confident that the results reported are accurate and can be traced from end-2-end
● What are the upstream/downstream impact when workflow, process builder, or apex programs need to be updated?
● Need to include SFDC as part of Governance Operating Model
● How many workflows are out there? How are they triggered and what do they update?
● How many process builders are out there? How are they triggered and what do they update?
● How many custom Apex programs are out there, and how are they used or triggered?
● How many custom program, processes, objects, fields are duplicated?
● How should we govern SFDC data when we don’t know what to govern?
● … and many others
This long list of business problems fuelled Orion Governance to build a SFDC connector. Our objective is to provide a user-friendly system for the business users to self service
, be proactive
, and gain insigh
ts into their SFDC org - and reduce the business pain points.
Orion Metadata Harvester (MDH) SFDC connector can read, scan, ingest, and stitch SFDC objects (standard/custom), reports (standard/custom), process builders, workflows, and complex Apex programs. Once ingested, Orion MDH stitches all the components to provide a full end-2-end data lineage of SFDC org, all the way to the lowest level of detail.
Orion Governance offers a wide range of system connectors, in addition to SFDC connector - ranging from legacy (Mainframe, COBOL), DB’s, ETL’s, BI and Reporting Tools, IoT, and Unstructured Data. Once ingested and harvested, Orion MDH Appliance harmonizes all heterogeneous metadata to be ready to be consumed by business or technical users. Next, Orion MDH world-class metadata stitcher connects all the harmonized metadata and provides a seamless, easy to consume end-2-end (horizontal) data lineage.
Orion Metadata Harvester provides business and technical users the insights of their metadata: What, When, and How the data flows, transformed, reported, consumed; and therefore, can better govern their data.
SFDC process builder
Orion MDH data lineage